Surgery Tomorrow!

Hi friends! I know I have been absolutely horrible with keeping y’all updated since Cannon’s last surgery. We have been doing a major overhaul in our house and blogging has fallen further and further down my “to-do” list. So sorry about that!

Anyhow, I need to let you now that Cannon is having surgery tomorrow! We knew within the first week after the last surgery that there would need to be another. The Mic Key Button that was originally installed needed to be longer. So, that was going to be corrected. This week, the plan changed. The surgeon decided that because Cannon has not been touching or messing with the button that he should get the one we originally looked at putting in. The Chait Button. That we had ruled out because of his sensory issues and the fear that he would pull it out. Which is better designed to deal with his gastrointestinal issue. Also, it only has to be changed once a year (instead of every couple months), would need to be changed in the O.R. by a surgeon (not us….at home), is more flush with the skin, and the surgeon thinks he will have less of an issue with the granulation tissue (the very vascular tissue that has formed in response to the foreign body on his little body). The latter has been a real problem since the original surgery. The main negative (and it’s a big one) is that if this device were to come out, he would need emergency surgery to replace it. And the spiral tube underneath the skin can do major damage upon exit of the body. Even potentially puncturing organs and/or causing sepsis. Yikes! But, the surgeon thinks this is the best move for Cannon and our family. And we are going to trust her on this. So, the plan tomorrow is that we will do a blood draw on arrival, get anesthesia, the surgeon will perform a cauterization of that pesky, rebellious granulation tissue and remove the Mic Key Button. Which will be followed by an Interventional Radiologist installing the new Chait Button. From there, we have no idea what will happen. We don’t know how long we will be there, if he will be admitted….nothing.

So that is a fast and furious update of what is going on. I was struggling a bit tonight with whether or not this is the right choice for Cannon. What if he has a problem down the road and we regret this choice? But after reflecting on some scripture and talking with God a bit, I was much calmer and relaxed. Having been reminded to just keep trusting my Father. He will be with Cannon and help us through….no matter what happens. God bless y’all!

“The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace.” Psalm 29:11

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

“God’s spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don’t know how or what to pray, it doesn’t matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves….and keeps us present before God. That’s why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.” Romans 8:26-28

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *